Countdown to Kate's 1st Birthday!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bon Appetit (or not)

I have only known that I've been pregnant for about a week. And with that comes a hiatus from the eating/drinking of some of my favorite foods and drinks.

Giving up alcohol hasn't been too difficult. The worst part is when I'm around others who are trying wine and commenting on the flavors. And before the BFP, we stocked up on some new wines that I couldn't wait to try. Of course those are now off the menu.

Giving up caffeine has been kind of tricky. I miss my morning cup of joe. My doctor says that I can have 200mg or fewer of caffeine a day, but there is also a slightly higher risk of miscarriage (especially in the first trimester) among moms-to-be who consume caffeine during pregnancy. I thought I could drink diet, caffeine-free soda, but I found out I can't have artificial sweeteners. I'd rather not pack on more pounds than necessary by drinking sugary drinks, so it looks like it'll be just water for me. I've been "spicing it up" with lemons and drinking with fun bendy straws.

You all probably know how much I love cheese and ice cream (not together). Most cheeses are safe to eat during pregnancy, but I have to be sure that they're pasteurized. Some of my favorites, like some goat cheeses and brie, are often made with raw milk and are off the menu for the next nine months. Soft-serve ice cream can carry listeria from being prepared in poorly sanitized machines.

The good news:
1) I do get 300 extra calories a day for the little peanut.
2) The Expectant Father, the book I bought for Doug, has a number of pregnancy-safe recipes that the authors suggest Doug prepare for me - banana chocolate pancakes, Mexican omelette, and tomato and basil salad.

No comments: