Countdown to Kate's 1st Birthday!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, January 2, 2009

35 Week Update

We went to the doctor this morning for our 35 week appointment. (From now until delivery, I will have weekly appointments.) The baby is healthy, but we did learn some disappointing news. Although the baby has been head-down for weeks, the baby seems to have moved into a breech (head-up) position. Doctors will not allow a first birth to be delivered breech, so I will have to have a c-section if the baby does not turn. My doctor told me of an exercise I can do to help the baby turn. I also have done some research online and learned of some other exercises and techniques that hopefully will coax the baby into turning head-down.

When I go to the doctor next week for my 36 week appointment, the doctor will check to see if the baby is still breech. If so, they will schedule a version for 37 weeks. A version is a procedure where the doctor manually tries to turn the baby head-down. It works about 60% of the time. There are some risks - if my water breaks or there is damage to the placenta, they would have to do an emergency c-section. If the version is unsuccessful, they will schedule a c-section.

Please keep Peanut and me in your thoughts and prayers. I am hopeful that he/she will turn head-down so I am able to have a natural birth.

No comments: